"The Petticoat Invasion":
Women at the College of William and Mary
The first co-educational class as freshmen in the fall of 1918. (Colonial Echo, 1919, p. 48).
With the admission of women in the fall of 1918, the College of William and Mary became the first public institution of higher learning in Virginia to become co-educational. A tradition that started with the College's 1693 inception as an exclusively male institution was over. The impact of this change on the College is the focus of this web site.
Return to Special Collections Home Page
Website created with funding from Virtual Library of Virginia